Monday, December 26, 2016

BC Bike Race

First was the preparation.

I contacted my friend Nichol Gunton who operates nwmtbcoaching.com right after signing up for the BCBR in July of 2015.  We discussed my goals and race plans for the 2016 season and she put a training plan together for me that worked with my work schedule and family life.  Since I race a local Spring XC race series as well as a full DH and Enduro race schedule my training included those disciplines and race dates along with the preparation for my first XC Stage Race.  The training plan was excellent and enabled me to also balance work and family commitments.  It gave me structure and pushed me to levels of fitness I have not experienced since my late 20’s.  I completed the 7 day BCBR each day physically and mentally tired but recovered quickly and continued racing day after day without any struggles or undue suffering.  The only thing I would have done differently was add more long logging road climbing rides to condition myself to hours of seated moderate to hard sustained climbing.

I purposely build a bike in 2015 for the BCBR.  I started with a XL 2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 frameset for the longer top tube length (I normally ride a Large) and used a 50mm stem and 760mm bars for a perfect cockpit setup.  I also upsized the typical fork used on a 100mm XC race bike to a 34mm stanchion X-Fusion Trace and bumped the travel up to 120mm.  I installed  a Works Components -1.5 degree headset to further slacken out the geometry for the steep technical descending I would encounter. I ran my ENVE AM Carbon wheelset I use on my Tallboy LTc for Enduro racing because I am not a small guy at 220lbs.  I descend aggressively so I need the increased stiffness of the bigger fork and stiff and strong carbon wheels.  Other details include the use of a 125mm X-Fusion HILO Strate dropper post, Specialized 2.3” Butcher Control front and 2.3 Slaughter Control rear tires set up tubeless, Sram XX1 drivetrain with Wolf Tooth 28t Elliptical front chainring and a Wolf Tooth 44t Giant Cog on the cassette, XTR Trail brakes with 160mm rotors.  It turned out to be a very capable bike but at some times I wished for a little more rear travel to smooth out some of the high speed rooty and rocky descents.  If you stay on top of Santa Cruz Bike model releases you may know that in the Spring of 2016 they introduced the Tallboy 3.  All the updates/improvements they made over the Tallboy 2 were pretty much spot on with the way I modified and built my Tallboy 2.  The Tallboy 3 would be my top recommendation for anyone attempting this race next year.

A couple of standouts of support was: Pearson Chiropractic and Rehabilitation who kept my body healthy through my training and racing schedule including several crash injuries.  And, there are not enough thanks that can be given to the amazing Crotch Guard Skin Care Oil.  I had zero chamois/saddle related issues through my training and during the 7 days of racing in which the first 3 days were very wet and muddy.

Now it is time to race.

Day -1 (Registration day)

Day -1 is where we all met in Vancouver and signed paper work, picked up our gear bags, received some BCBR branded swag, and loaded our bikes onto the trucks for transport to the day 1 starting line.  It was a weird feeling not having my bike the two days prior to the race but the pro staff and volunteer crew took excellent care of my bike and it was never damaged during all the loading/unloading and transportation during the week of racing.

They used 4 full size Semi Truck Trailers to transport the 600 race bikes (mine is in there somewhere)


Day 0 (Travel day)

Day 0 has racers reporting in, handing over our gear bag (the large wheeled duffle bag provided on day -1) and attending a racer briefing.  Then all 600 of us loaded onto school buses and were whisked away to the first of many ferry terminals.  We set sail out of Horseshoe Bay on one of the massive BC Ferries and arrived in Nanaimo where we boarded more busses and were driven to the small town of Cumberland.  Then it was time to pick up our gear bag, find our tents, and get settled into camp before dinner service began.


The 10th annual BCBR class photo before boarding the first ferry

It was a short walk through town to a community center where they served us a magnificent meal made from local fruits, vegetables, meat, and breads. The food was worthy of the finest restaurant and the locals serving us were very friendly.  As we walked back to camp I noticed all the local businesses had Welcome BCBR Racers signs on doors and windows and many, like the bike shop we went into for some trail intel, stayed open late for us.

Day 1 (Stage 1 Cumberland)

Day 1 began by being awaken in the middle of the night with heavy rain pelting our tent's rain fly.  The rain was predicted but it was heavier than expected.  The steady rain lasted all the way up through the first part of the race before giving way to showers.

Having never done a race of this magnitude I was nervous about the start and was one of the first racers there waiting.  They had us self seed based on expected race finish time and from other single day races of this length I have done I chose to line up with the 4 hour group.  This put me somewhere around 250 racers back from the paid pros lined up in front.  The race got going as they launched large waves of 50+ racers on 3 min intervals.  It started with a short paved section through the small town then we set off on a long logging road climb to spread the field out.  I hate spreading the field out on a long climb because I am not that fast fighting gravity.  I don’t know how long that first ascent was but I heard it called the “9 mile hill” and the “Never ending climb” but as predicted with everyone on fresh legs I was passed continuously as I glanced at my handle bar display telling me my heart rate was running 150 – 165 beats per minute. 

Finally we hit the first single track of the day and I was about to get an education on how racing in the BCBR was going to be.  Most of all those people who had scurried past me up that logging road climb were now either standing there, walking down, or crashed and lying on the trail.  The trail was soft, muddy, steep in spots, and had a large amount of roots and some occasional large rocks.  This is typical for a Pacific Northwest trail but all new and scary for a lot of my fellow BCBR Racers.  Riding that first trail went like this:  Wait for riders to clear trail, ride for 15 seconds, stop and lean up against a tree for a while the trail cleared, ride for 15 seconds and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.  Kind of a bummer because my brain is in race mode now but it was also entertaining and made me feel like a Freeride pro in contrast to most occupying the trail with me at that moment.

Things improved as I worked my way through the initial single track freak-out that unfolded. I was passing riders in groups of 3 -5 on the trail and feeling good.  Then as I rounded a blind corner the trail suddenly shot skyward and as I stood up to power up the short slope “BANG” my new chain snaps and I fold over the handlebars and crash down onto my stem (ouch).  I pull off trail and fix chain as I see many of the riders I had just passed get back in front of me.

Back on bike now and having fun again until I drop into a steep section and a rider near the bottom of the chute has a problem and stops sideways partially blocking the trail and the preferred line.  Not enough traction on that muddy slope to stop so I take and evasive line choice and end up going over the bars but landed safely.  Although I did smash my left Quadricep into my handlebar hard enough to rotate my brake lever and give myself a baseball sized deep contusion.  For the rest of the day it felt like I was getting punched in the leg every time I pushed down on the pedal.

Shortly after that I came upon the first downed rider at the bottom of a big rock roll.  He was already getting medical aid and evacuation crew was on the way but he was really hurting with what looked like a potential broken leg or hip.  With my own leg screaming with every pedal stroke and seeing this guy writhing in pain and his race over already it sank in that I have 7 days of this and keep my riding in control.

The locals who were out on course showing us support and motivation is one thing I looked forward to seeing and my first vivid memory was rounding a turn and seeing this amazing vista to the left on the trail and right there were belly dancing bumble bees.  I may have been hypoxic, tired, or just suffering a little at the moment but those ladies (they weren’t really bees) really lifted my spirits.  That continued day after day whether it was bubble blowing penguins, devils with pitchforks chasing you up hills, Sasquatch sightings, dance parties, live bands, a 50’s dinner out in the woods, hula dancers, mermaids, or just regular folks standing there cheering you along.

The race stage finished with some challenging but sweet descending single track and at one point I rolled over the edge of a steep chute and there was a lady standing 2/3 of the way down with her bike blocking the line I needed to ride yelling up to me that the trail was too steep to ride.  I had to dismount and scamper down the slope (harder than riding it) and let her know I appreciated her concern but she should get off the trail so the rest of us could ride it. 

I crossed the finish line very tired, wet, and muddy.  I also finished early enough to get immediately on to the bus for the first ferry crossing to Powell River.  I learned a lesson on that ferry ride to carry money or extra food in our little carry on bag.  I drank lots of fluids and my powdered recovery drink on the ferry ride and thought I was feeling good.  When we landed there was a huge crowd of locals welcoming us and a group of bag pipers playing.  It was a much needed spiritual lift in a long day.  Now, here is where that lesson comes into play.  It was a significant walk from ferry terminal to the campground and halfway there I bonked.  My blood sugar was so low I was walking like a drunk down the sidewalk and barely made it to camp and immediately tried boarding bus for dinner that was supposed to begin in 20 minutes.  A small group of us stood there in the rain and the bus drivers would not let us on because they were not told to load yet by an official.  Now being “Hangry” I bit my tongue but internally was really pissed off.  Then Brian Lopes walks up and knocks on bus door and says he is in charge (he wasn't) and we need to load these busses.  Driver opens door and we load.  As soon as everyone that was standing outside was on the bus Mr. Lopes says OK we are good to go and off to dinner we went with only a half full bus.  About 15 minutes into dinner I was back to my normal tired self.  Thanks Brian!

Next it was finally time for a shower and we had to use this little locker room at the school dinner was served in.  There was a shared entry with the men’s bathroom on the right and the locker room on the left where you might expect the entry to a women’s bathroom to be.  The locker room had no sign saying what it was.  So with 20 guys in the locker room lined up for a turn in one of the 4 showers we had ladies constantly walking in thinking it was the restroom.  In front of me were about 10 guys from Europe just standing in line buck naked and having a good time laughing every time a lady walked in.  You could tell us guys from Canada and the US because we still had on shorts, pants, or wrapped in a towel as we stood in line. 

Day 1 was long and in retrospect the toughest day because of the immediate travel after racing and not eating properly.  I did sleep very well that night!

Day 2 (Stage 2 Powell River)

Rain continued in the form of infrequent showers overnight but skies were just cloudy come race start.  There was a short ride down a gravel trail before a right turn and onto a logging road.  The starter announced to all of us to take it easy as we all approached that turn but a few riders touched wheels any way and went down causing quite a commotion.  The logging road was very wide and not too steep as we gained some initial altitude and distance and a few pace lines developed to help us all deal with a stiff head wind. 

Day 2 also happened to be my 50th Birthday and it was a very special day to me for one specific reason.  Over two decades ago my father who was a very active person and loved the outdoors passed away and never got to see his 50th Birthday.  Ever since that day I had searched and planned to do something truly Epic to celebrate the point in my life where I surpassed my father.  The BCBR was that Epic event and today was the day he rode along side me in spirit.  And what a ride it was, Powell River did not have the most technical trails out of the 7 days we race but it did have some of the most scenic trails and they had such a tranquil feel to them.  I have to admit I spent a few miles being a little emotionally overwhelmed just from sharing the effort and beauty with my father as I rode along. 

The locals really stepped it up and provided some awesome trail side encouragement from the amazing Aloha Bridge and the supporters lined up on both sides of the trails cheering you on to a 50’s drive in dinner in the woods with some rock and roll oldies playing to make you forget about that last climb.  I have some trouble remembering exact details but I believe it was on this day I also passed a live folk rock band playing along one of the gravel road connectors.

Day 2 also ended with us staying in Powell River for one additional night so I finally felt like I got some down time and was able to relax and take in what was going on in the race venue.

Day 3 (Stage 3 Earls Cove to Sechelt)

Day 3 brought with it an early morning wake up call to break camp and eat breakfast before traveling to Earls Cove for the 9am race start.

School buses, water taxis, ferries, and float planes were on today’s travel agenda.   I was not selected in the lottery for the float plane but jumped on taking the water taxi since we would arrive ahead of the other 500 racers on the ferry and have early access to our bikes before race start.  I was seated in the rear of the last bus to arrive at the dock and thus lined up for the last water taxi trip.  After what seemed like a longer than normal wait for the water taxi to return from Earls Cove, the ferry having already departed, and 12 of us wondering what was going on with approx 40 min till race start we were informed that a miscommunication had occurred.  The water taxi never returned from Earls Cove to come get us but the BCBR Volunteers said they would still get us to the start line on time.  Then they told us Harbour Air had dispatched another float plane to come get us.  While we did not get the usual “Scenic tour” we got a speedy direct flight (with plenty of gorgeous views) and the pilot banked us into Earls Cove and we landed right in front of the ferry as it was coming into the terminal and we got out on a private dock and after a short walk were at the starting line and our bikes.  After a quick tire pressure check and water bottle fill I was ready to race!

Departing for Earls Cove on that last chance Float Plane


The view was amazing on our trip to Earls Cove

Then as we lined up it started pouring rain and any hopes of a finally having a dry race were dashed.  Today started with a significant amount of pavement leading up to the switch to logging roads and single track.  Everyone did a great job spacing out and not letting our knobby tires get away from us on the wet asphalt.  This was the first really long distance day with a significant amount of climbing so the pace of the pack was slower than the first 2 days.  It was also the day my legs felt tired and sluggish.  This was also the first of two point to point races and there was a significant amount of logging road and double track to span the gaps between trail networks. 

In the end we had one heck of a great descent down some very fast and flowy trails into the town of Sechelt and warm sunny skies to linger under all afternoon.  Today was the day my feet began to feel the fatigue along with my neck and shoulders from the extended pedaling sections and long climbs 

Day 4 (Stage 4 Sechelt to Lansdale)

Day 4 was another point to point race but felt longer than expected due to tired legs and long never ending climbs.  This was the first whole day of racing without rain but the creek and mud bog crossings kept us wet and muddy for a 4th consecutive day.  At the end of the day we had an epic descent on some trails I remembered from the 2015 Sunshine Coast BC Enduro Race.  It made all the suffering earlier in the day all but disappear.

Finish line was at ferry terminal parking lot and we had time to check our bikes in, take a shower, grab some food, and sit in the sun for a while till we boarded the ferry to return to Vancouver.

Once we got to Vancouver my wife and I were reunited with our camper van and tent camping was done for the remainder of the race.  Tomorrow’s North Shore Time Trial will be short in distance but long on effort. 

Day 5 (Stage 5 North Shore Time Trial)

Today the race had no real wide long climb (AKA as a road) to sort the field out so we lined up in groups of 5 and were released on 30 second intervals.  I wish every XC race could have a TT start and no long climb right off the bat to sort the field.  The initial trail “Old Buck” is not overly long but consistently steep so everyone pretty much fell into a single line and ground it out.  Once we reached the top of the first climb things got serious as the descents and trails are getting steeper, more technical, and a lot more fun than previous days.

Then it was time to drop into The Red Bull Downtime timed DH segment.  This was treated as a separate race within today’s stage.  I caught Caroline Lamont early in the segment but knowing she was racing for a podium place I just followed and never asked to pass. I was having so much fun as we passed racer after racer after racer on the very steep technical trails; many as they were crashing or standing along course trying to figure out how to ride or even how to walk down these rowdy sections of technical trail. We just flowed along and I even began whooping it up because I was just having so much fun.  I finished well up into the upper 1/2 of the total field today and had I had clear trail it may have been the upper 1/3.

On the road up Mt. Seymour is my favorite Canadian Road Sign

Stage 5 was the shortest of them all but was nearly 100% fun and exciting single track from start to finish.  The climbs today were steep and technical as well. I felt fresh at the finish, recovered quickly, and now feel confident I will easily reach the Stage 7 finish line and savor some finish line beers.

Tomorrow's stage has been voted racers favorite from past years and I looking forward to the rewards that over 6,000 ft of climbing will bring.  It will be the biggest day from a total effort standpoint so a good night sleep is my next priority.

Day 6 (Stage 6 Squamish)

Stage 6 started with a steep paved road climb up into the Garibaldi Highlands with nice homes nestled amongst some cool rock formations and great views.  A lot of older residents were sitting in chairs along the street, in their yards, or on their porch providing subdued support as we gained elevation through their neighborhoods.  The lone exception was a small boy standing alone on the opposite side of the road ringing a big cow bell and holding his little hand out stretched.  I rode over to that side of the road and gave him a “high five” and told him thanks.  The smile that erupted on his face and the thanks I got from his mom for acknowledging his efforts let me know that this was going to be an awesome day! 

We hit some easy single track that flowed up and down for a ways then we began the serious climb up to what was promised to be a great trail called Rupert.  It was wet and muddy in spots as we approached Rupert then we hit a long line of racers being held up by a BC Bike Race volunteer.  There was some instructions being shouted out to the crowd but all the racer chatter made it hard to hear.  Best I could make out was a decision to close down the big rock slabs because they had become to slick and dangerous.  They were even limiting how many riders at a time could begin the short hike a bike in front of us.  Once we climbed the rest of the way up we were sent down a bypass trail which was fun and pretty technical in its own right but the traffic jams prevented me from riding it without having to stop numerous times to wait for the trail to clear out below me. While this was a bummer it was the last time for the entire day I had to stop and wait for slower traffic to clear out on any of the fun trails.

I really had fun chasing a couple young local riders down a flow trail underneath the power lines at “Rob’s Corner”.  It was fast, smooth, and the jump to berm transitions were perfect for a short travel bike. 

Next up was the famous Half Nelson trail and it was a fun romp down big berms, smallish jumps, and across a few wooden bridges.  What made this extra fun was racing the Bike Patrol Motorcycle down.  I would pull up behind him during the tight cornering and jumps then on the straight always he would pull back a head.   In my head I was living out that video of Gee Atherton vs. motorcycle race down the Ft. William WC DH Track.

The next fun trail was called Pseudo-Tsuga and it was a long, fast and sometimes rough descent where I was catching riders creeping along at 1/3 of my speed but the there were plenty of places to make safe passes.

From that point on the trails were a great mix of slow tech to fast and flowy with a final high speed bike path cruise to the finish line.

Some Locals providing us some motivation

Day 6 was truly EPIC with 6,000 feet of climbing and more single track than any other BCBR Stage.  Despite the huge effort, I stayed focused and kept rubber side down for 5th day in row but I was so tired at dinner I could barely chew.

A little post dinner nap in the evening sun

Day 7 (Stage 7 Whistler)

Today was the 7th day of racing Mountain Bikes around Western British Columbia. The starting line chatter was a mix of excitement and also a bit somber that it would all be over in about 3 hours.

Getting ready for the start of Stage 7 at Whistler


The all new course and start/finish locations at Whistler did not disappoint from flowy and fun to steep and technical. Except for a very short paved road sections this stage was nearly 100% dirt and single track.  It began with some wonderful smooth flowy trails that eventually traveled down alongside a river then crossed and went back up stream on the opposite side. 

It ended with a tough climb up and a tricky descent down a trail called “Danimal” which required 110% mental focus to navigate the rock features and steep chutes at the end of 7 days of grueling efforts.

And just like that it is all over...and in a finish line haze I am handed a finisher's belt buckle, T-Shirt, a delicious burger and a cold beer.  The world around me begins to come into focus and I start to regret that there will be no day 8 in Pemberton (Great idea if anyone at BCBR is reading this).

The rest of the day is spent getting checked into our accommodations in Whistler Village, getting cleaned up, and attending the big BCBR Banquet.  They showed some great slideshows and videos at the banquet and I hope they make them public so everyone can see how amazing this year’s race was.

Day 8 (Rest stage)

Got up around 7am and made the wife a nice breakfast and sent her off with her DH bike to have fun in her Simon Lawton Fluid Ride Woman’s DH camp.  I then turned on some classic rock and consumed a 6 pack on the couch and took a nice nap (don’t judge me).  Woke up and met wife for lunch then returned to couch and drank a couple more beers and took another nap.  I was really tired and thirsty for some strange reason.


Thanks to all of you out there for the support and the $6,000 in donations raised for my charity Crush Kids Cancer.  

http://giveto.seattlechildrens.org/page.aspx?pid=668&tab=0&frsid=310

Sincerely,

Marc Garoutte


No comments:

Post a Comment